- Levi/Matthew was transformed by a call to follow Jesus (v.13-14).
- What would motivate a successful man to leave his profession to follow Jesus?
- What will lead us to leave anything that hinders us from following Jesus?
- Transformed Levi/Matthew wanted all of his friends to meet Jesus (v.15).
- When he was leaving his job, why invite all his friends to meet Jesus?
- What will motivate us to want to invite all of our friends to meet Jesus?
- Religious leaders objected to Jesus being with sinners (v.16-17).
- How do we know that the Pharisees were trying to cause trouble?
- Why would Pharisees object to Jesus keeping company with sinners?
- How can we ensure that our relationship with Jesus welcomes sinners?
- Biblical scholars assumed somber religious behavior (v.18).
- How do the attitudes of the Pharisees mirror religious attitudes today?
- What is wrong with religious attitudes that reject or minimize joy?
- Jesus clearly showed the need for complete transformation (v.19-22).
- How can we know that Jesus was talking about more than wineskins and cloth?
- What happens when we try to fill our religious traditions with Christian joy?
- What happens when we try to patch our old problems instead of being transformed?
Call to Action: To be completely and joyously transformed by the call of Jesus.